Tuesday, June 26, 2012

What's in a name?

I've started this blog a dozen times. I've spent lots of time designing it. I covet the websites and blogs of other authors -- things that are so professional! So legit and real. If they have the George Clooney of websites, I have the Eric Estrada. Who, don't get me wrong, is totally awesome. He just isn't George Clooney.

I also tried a dozen different names. In the end, I think the most important fact people should know about me is that I am a plethora of contradictions. I eat almost organic everything, then gobble Twizzlers and M&M's. I love other people's dogs, but I don't really like my pets. Yes, I know that sounds terrible. But I'm being honest. I love shows like Dateline on ID, but I hate violence. I am very girly, but am surrounded by boys at home. And, most of all, even though I'm in my 30s, I'm still a teenager at heart. I teach Beowulf and Lord of the Flies and, yes, Animal Farm by day to my teenage students. Then I go home and watch re-runs of Saved by the Bell, Degrassi, and Dawson's Creek.

So, this is my first post. I figured I should address the blog name first. If you've found this blog from my website, then you know I'm a writer. You know I have a book coming out in 2013. You know that I love Young Adult literature, writers, and readers.

I'm jumping into the blogging game a lot later than I should. I admire SO MUCH the writers - particularly the unpublished ones -- who have incredible blogs. There are so many of them. I live on YA Highway. Natalie Whipple, whom I don't know, has an amazing blog, which was amazing long before she got her book deal. Janice Hardy has become a blogger mainstay for me. I'm not name-dropping just to do it -- I just really aspire to be like these people. I hope that my blog can be a resource the way these other blogs are.

So, Welcome! I hope I can keep up with this blogging thing this time, instead of petering out like I so often do. My attention span is quick-burning -- passionate, then waning. But my love for writing doesn't end. In that respect, I think I have a chance at doing this thing forever.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelly!
    I stumbled upon your blog via YA Highway, and then found your website via this blog. Just wanted to extend a hello and say that the synopsis of "Taste Test" sounds really interesting and I look forward to reading it! It's fun to find a like-minded reader/writer/teacher/baker in the YA world. Best of luck in your blogging and other writing adventures!
    http://stephanierichardsonadventures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete